New Mexico Music Commission’s Student Musician Spotlight
Wesley Dong, violin and piano, is a junior at La Cueva High School in Albuquerque where he is concertmaster of the Camerata. Wesley was nominated by Rebecca Simons, Director of Orchestras at La Cueva High. Learn more about Wesley.
About the Student Musician Spotlight
The New Mexico Music Commission’s Student Musician Spotlight series was established in 2017 to honor the remarkable achievements of our state’s talented and dedicated student musicians. Selected students will be featured in the Showcase section of the Music Commission’s web site and on our Facebook page. Students will also receive a certificate of recognition from the State.
Eligible students must be 18 years of age or younger and demonstrate the following qualities:
- outstanding character
- positive attitude
- exceptional respect for their family, peers, mentors, teachers, and elders
- extraordinary dedication to the study and performance of their musical instrument(s)/voice.
This recognition is open to student instrumentalists, singers, composers, arrangers, and singer-songwriters. All musical styles and genres are welcome. Character and integrity are equally important as talent, playing ability, and dedication to music.
An individual shall be ruled ineligible to be featured in the Music Commission’s Student Musician Spotlight series if they are related to a New Mexico Music Commissioner or an employee of New Mexico Arts.
Nominations are accepted year-round on an ongoing basis. A new student will be featured approximately once a month, primarily during the traditional academic school year (August to May) and dependent on the number of eligible nominations received. The same student can only be featured once per academic school year. Students may not nominate themselves.
To nominate a student musician, fill out a nomination form and provide all required documentation as specified in the guidelines section of the nomination form. The nominator’s statement must be formatted for 8½ x 11 sized paper with portrait orientation. Incomplete nominations will not be considered.
Upon acceptance, the student and parent or guardian will be contacted and asked to provide a head shot, bio, and short performance video of the student performing. They will also be required to sign a release form granting permission to publicly display these materials.
The following materials are required for each nomination – incomplete nominations will not be considered:
- A completed nomination form (see to nominate below for a link to the nomination form).
- A nominator’s statement (approximately 250 words) that includes the nominator’s relationship to the student and why the student merits receiving this recognition. The statement must be formatted for 8 1/2 x 11 paper, portrait orientation.
- Parent | guardian agreement to publicly display their child’s image and to provide the requested materials outlined in the acceptance section, below.
All nomination materials will remain on permanent file in the Music Commission office and will not be returned.
The student and their parent(s)/guardian(s) will be contacted in the event their nominee is accepted into the Student Spotlight Series. They will be asked to provide the following materials:
- a print ready copy of the student’s recent head shot (.jpg format only)
- the student’s up-to-date bio (approximately 300 words in length)
- a recent video clip of the student performing (3-5 minutes in length and posted on YouTube)
- a signed release form granting permission to publicly display the above materials
These materials will be displayed on the New Mexico Music Commission’s web site and will be promoted on the commission’s Facebook page. Materials will not be returned and will remain on permanent file in the Music Commission office.
Only nominations accepted into the student spotlight series will be contacted. Check the list of student honorees monthly for updates. Nominations not featured in the series may reapply the following year. The same student may be nominated no more than one time per calendar year and repeatedly until they turn 19.
Download and print a copy of the nomination form (.pdf file). Follow the directions on the form.
Submit Nomination To
Select one of the following delivery options:
- email Thomas.Goodrich@state.nm.us (.pdf files only, please)
- fax 505-827-6043
- snail mail: Music Commission Student Spotlight, 407 Galisteo St. #270, Santa Fe, NM 87501
Ongoing Nominations sought year-round
Ongoing Nominations reviewed by New Mexico Music Commission administration
August-May No more than one student will be spotlighted per month during the school year
- Chapman, Sydney ~ trumpet
- Dong, Wesley ~ violin & piano
- Hall, Haven ~ percussion
- Settecerri, Morgan ~ viola
- Smiley, DeAnna ~ guitar
- Tatum, Jordyn ~ soprano
- Wolf, Atticus ~ piano
The New Mexico Music Commission’s Student Musician Spotlight series is sponsored, in part, by:
Please show your support to these organizations by shopping with them. Be sure to mention the Music Commission’s Student Spotlight series when you make your purchase. Thank you for supporting New Mexico music education!