New Mexico Music Commission’s Student Musician Spotlight
The New Mexico Music Commission is seeking nominations for its Student Musician Spotlight series.
About the Student Musician Spotlight
The New Mexico Music Commission’s Student Musician Spotlight series was established in 2017 to recognize the remarkable achievements of our state’s talented and dedicated student musicians. Students recognized in the series will be featured in the Showcase section of the Music Commission’s web site and on the commission’s Facebook page. Students will also receive a certificate of recognition from the State.
Eligible students must be 18 years of age or younger and demonstrate the following qualities:
- outstanding character
- positive attitude
- exceptional respect to their family, peers, mentors, teachers, and elders
- extraordinary dedication to the study and performance of their musical instrument(s)/voice.
This recognition is open to student instrumentalists, singers, composers, arrangers, and singer-songwriters. All musical styles and genres are welcome. Character and integrity are equally as important as talent, playing ability, and a dedication to music.
An individual shall be ruled ineligible to be featured in the Music Commission’s Student Spotlight series if they are related to a member of any of the following organizations:
- a New Mexico Music Commissioner
- an employee of New Mexico Arts.
Nominations are accepted year-round and on an ongoing basis. One new student will be featured approximately once a month during the traditional academic school year, possibly during the summer months as well, depending on the number of complete qualified nominations received each year. The same student may be nominated multiple times but will be featured no more than once per year. Students may not nominate themselves.
To nominate a student musician, fill out a nomination form and provide all required documentation as specified in the nomination guidelines section, below. The nominator’s statement must be formatted for 8½ x 11 sized paper with profile orientation.
Submit your nomination by mail, hand delivery, fax, or email. Delivery options are detailed on the nomination form and listed below. Nomination materials will not be returned and will remain on permanent file with the Music Commission.
The following materials are required for each nomination – incomplete nominations will not be considered:
- A completed nomination form.
- A nominator’s statement (approximately 250 words) that includes the nominator’s relationship to the student and why the student merits receiving this recognition. The statement must be formatted for 8 1/2 x 11 paper, portrait orientation.
- Parent | guardian agreement to publicly display their child’s image and to provide the requested materials outlined in the acceptance section, below.
All nomination materials will remain on permanent file in the Music Commission office and will not be returned.
The student and their parent(s)/guardian(s) will be contacted in the event their nominee is accepted into the Student Spotlight Series. They will be asked to provide the following materials:
- a print ready copy of the student’s recent head shot – .jpg format
- the student’s up-to-date bio – no more than 300 words
- a recent video clip of the student performing – no more than 3 minutes in length
- a signed release form granting permission to publicly display the above materials
These materials will be displayed on the New Mexico Music Commission’s web site and will be promoted on the commission’s Facebook page. Materials will not be returned and will remain on permanent file in the Music Commission office.
Only nominations accepted into the student spotlight series will be contacted. Check the list of student honorees monthly for updates. Nominations not featured in the series may reapply the following year. The same student may be nominated no more than one time per calendar year and repeatedly until they turn 19.
Download and print a copy of the nomination form (.pdf file). Follow the directions on the form.
Submit Nomination To
Select one of the following delivery options:
- email Thomas.Goodrich@state.nm.us (.pdf files only, please)
- fax 505-827-6043
- snail mail or in person: New Mexico Music Commission Student Spotlight, 407 Galisteo St., Suite 270, Santa Fe, NM 87501
Ongoing Nominations sought year-round
Ongoing Nominations reviewed by New Mexico Music Commission administration
August-May One student will be spotlighted each month during the traditional school year
Thank you for supporting New Mexico Music Education!