New Mexico Music Commission’s Platinum Music Awards
New Mexico Platinum Music Awards Nominations opening in early 2018“The Platinums” are an evolution of the New Mexico Music Commission’s Platinum Achievement Awards, established in 2013 to celebrate the role that the music industry plays in the cultural life and economic success of New Mexico. Presented annually, the awards honor living musicians and music supporters who have demonstrated lifetime achievement in their musical idiom or have made significant or distinguished contributions to music in New Mexico. The Music Commission manages the Platinum Awards nomination, adjudication, and selection process. The Commission charged the New Mexico Music Commission Foundation with producing the awards ceremony and show. 2017 honorees: Arlen Asher, Fernando Cellicion, Bill and Bonnie Hearne, Al Hurricane, Dr. Dale E. Kempter, and Catherine Oppenheimer – Lee Berk award.for more info: www.platinummusicawards.org
Posted by New Mexico Music Commission on Tuesday, November 28, 2017
above: the 2018 Platinum Music Award promotional featuring clips from the 2017 awards show.
“The Platinums” are an evolution of the New Mexico Music Commission’s Platinum Achievement Awards established in 2013 to celebrate the role that the music industry plays in the cultural life and economic success of New Mexico. Five Platinum Music Awards (PMA) are presented annually to living musicians and music supporters who have demonstrated lifetime achievement in their musical idiom or have made significant or distinguished contributions to music in New Mexico. A diverse and prestigious list of musicians and other outstanding individuals will be honored. The Platinum Awards will continue to evolve with the state’s ever-changing music industry so that the impact and relevance of the awards persist.
In 2017, the New Mexico Music Commission adopted the Platinum Music Awards ceremony and show as their annual signature event and primary fund raiser. The commission charged their Foundation with production, media, and sponsorship of these events. The Commission owns the award and manages the award nomination, adjudication, and selection process.
Here is a copy of the 2018 Platinum Music Awards press release.
Platinum Music Award honorees are recognized several ways:
- Press Release and Public Announcement: In the spring, the Music Commission and its Foundation make a formal announcement of the selected honorees through a widely distributed press release and with a public ‘reveal’ ceremony. Click here for a recording of the live Facebook feed announcing the 2018 Platinum Music Awards honorees on Thursday, April 19, 2018 at Candyman Strings & Things in Santa Fe. Honey Harris with Radio Free Santa Fe broadcast the announcement live on air. 2017 Platinum honorees Arlen Asher and Bill Hearne performed for the big reveal. (Honorees do not attend this event, as it would spoil the surprise!)
- Awards Ceremony and Dinner: In late August, the Music Commission confers each honoree with a certificate signed by the Governor and a Platinum Music Awards medallion at the annual awards ceremony and dinner. The ceremony and dinner were held at The Palace Restaurant and Saloon in 2017 and the Eldorado Hotel in 2018.
- Awards Show: Following the awards ceremony and dinner, the Music Commission Foundation produces a spectacular music variety showcase featuring some of New Mexico’s top talent. During the show, each honoree is celebrated with a short tribute speech, a 3-minute video biopic of their life and career, and a live music performance. The evening is a glowing tribute to the honorees and to the unique and diverse New Mexico music industry. It is quickly becoming one of the highlight music events of the year and is not to be missed! The awards show was held at the Lensic Performing Arts Center in 2017 and 2018.
- After Party: Honorees, musicians, and all involved in producing and organizing the awards ceremony, dinner, and show are treated to appetizers at an after party following the awards show. Chef James Campbell Caruso of La Boca sponsored and hosted the after party in 2017 and 2018.
- Online Hall of Fame: Honorees are inducted into the Music Commission’s website hall of fame with a permanent profile containing their head shot, bio, and a video.
- Facebook Feature: Honorees are featured on the Music Commission’s Facebook page and, if they are an active performer, the commission makes every effort to advertise their upcoming performances.
Here’s a shot of the finale from the 2018 Platinum Music Awards show at the Lensic, featuring Larry Mitchell, John Kurzweg, Stephanie Hatflied, Bill Palmer, performing the Beatles anthem “Love Is All You Need” accompanied by the Platinum Music Awards house band Santa Fe Revue and emcee Joe West.
Photo ©2018 Melissa Sanchez
Musicians, individuals, or organizations that have made significant and outstanding contributions to the music industry are eligible to receive the award. This includes musicians from any musical genre, music educators, advocates, or patrons who were born in New Mexico or have established residence in the state at some point in their life; and/or music-related businesses, nonprofits, and foundations.
An individual is ineligible to receive a Platinum Award if they are: a New Mexico Music Commissioner, an employee of the Department of Cultural Affairs, or related to a member of these organizations.
Nominations are accepted each year from organizations and the public. The nomination window for the 2019 awards is February 1 to March 15, 2019.
To nominate a musician, individual, or organization that has made a significant contribution to the music industry, download and fill out a nomination form and provide all required materials as specified in the required nomination form and materials section (below). Nominations are good for two years.
To re-nominate a musician, individual, or organization, simply download and fill out a current nomination form and submit updates in a new statement or addendum. Please contact the New Mexico Music Commission to check if nomination materials are still on file before submitting. It is not unusual for a nominee to be nominated several times before being awarded a Platinum Music Award. However, not every individual nominated will receive an award.
Required Nomination Form and Materials
The following materials must be submitted with each nomination:
- A completed nomination form. Check here for the 2019 nomination form on February 1, 2019.
- A statement that includes: the nominee’s contributions to NM’s music industry, your relationship to the nominee, and why the nominee merits receiving the award.
- Three (3) samples of the nominees work, such as: bio or resume/curriculum vitae, articles or publications, previous awards, accolades or distinctions, web sites or social media, industry reviews, live performances, official music videos, or studio recordings. (web links and/or .pdf format preferred)
- Three (3) letters of support from people familiar with the nominee’s work, such as colleagues, students, mentors, etc. Here is a sample letter of support to give you an idea of what we’re looking for.
Format all nomination materials to 8½ x 11 sized paper with portrait orientation; 12 point font preferred. Whenever possible, provide links to samples on the Web in lieu of sending physical copies such as cd’s or dvd’s. Incomplete or illegible nominations will not be considered.
Nominations may be submitted using one of the following delivery options:
- email preferred – .pdf or word files only please. If you are adept at using Dropbox, feel free to post your nomination form and required materials there and send us the link.
- snail mail or hand delivery: New Mexico Music Commission Platinum Awards, 407Galisteo St., Suite 270, Santa Fe, NM 87501
- fax: 505-827-6043
Nominations: contact Thomas Goodrich if you have questions about eligibility, the nomination process, nomination form, required nomination materials, adjudication, the awards timeline, or if you need assistance with your nomination.
Ceremony and Show: contact David Schwartz if you have questions about the awards ceremony or show or would like to volunteer, sponsor, or donate to these events. The Music Commission Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and your donations are tax deductible.
Proceeds of the 2019 Platinum Music Awards ceremony and show will benefit the Music Commission’s Music Education initiatives, most notably their Music in the Schools and Art2Art projects.
Music in the Schools
In the fall of 2017, the Music Commission and its Foundation entered into partnership with the Santa Fe Public Schools to initiate a Visiting Artist pilot program, as part of their Music in the Schools project. The Visiting Artist program brings professional musicians into the music classroom to deliver assemblies, master classes, clinics, sectionals, and lessons. It is the hope of the Commission and Foundation that this pilot program will expand to other school districts around the state with the continued growth and success of the Platinum Music Awards ceremony and show.
Art2Art promotes New Mexico-based musicians and visual artists in an “eduformance” setting. The artist and musician improvise in a collaborative performance in front of a live audience. Following the performance, the artists are interviewed on stage, delving into their process, inspiration, and technique. The audience is invited to ask questions following the interview. The work of visual art created during the performance is sold, with proceeds funding future Art2Art programming and the host venue. The New Mexico Music Commission provides the venue with a pre-packaged Art2Art program complete with musician, artist, emcee, script, and production notes that is fully modifiable to the venue’s needs. The venue may also suggest their own artists. Art2Art works well in concert settings, community spaces, entertainment at meetings, conferences, or workshops, and with students in an assembly or classroom. Art2Art works well in concert settings, community spaces, entertainment at meetings, conferences, or workshops, and with students in an assembly or classroom. The Commission is interested in bringing Art2Art to all parts of New Mexico and would like to feature local musicians and visual artists as well as our Platinum Music Awards honorees, when appropriate.
Click here to learn more about the Art2Art program.
2018 Awards Timeline
|February||Nominations sought: February 1 to March 15, 2019, noon
|March||Nominations juried: by a distinguished panel selected by the Music Commission|
|April||Announcement of honorees: Thursday, April 25, 2019 at Prescott Studio
|August||Awards ceremony and dinner: Friday, August 23, 2019, 5:30pm, location tba
Awards show: Friday, August 23, 2019, 7:30pm, location tba
Platinum Music Awards
- Antonia Apodaca
- Dr. William Clark
- Tom Guralnick
- Nacha Mendez
- Malcom Yepa
- Hummingbird Music Camp ~ Lee Berk Award
- Arlen Asher
- Fernando Cellicion
- Bill and Bonnie Hearne
- Al Hurricane
- Dr. Dale E. Kempter
- Catherine Oppenheimer ~ Lee Berk Award
Platinum Achievement Awards
- Bumblebee Bob Weil
- Herb Jeffries
- Kenneth Broad