About the Music Commissioners
As of November 2019, there are seven active music commissioners and one half-time administrator. Commissioners are unpaid volunteers serving three-year terms appointed by and renewable at the Governor’s discretion.
- Advise New Mexico Arts, the Department of Cultural Affairs, other state agencies, and the Governor concerning the protection, promotion and preservation of music and the music industry in New Mexico;
- Advise New Mexico Arts on music-related policies;
- Advise and assist public agencies in elevating the role of music in New Mexico;
- Foster appreciation of the value of music;
- Make New Mexico a music destination for both visitors and music professionals;
- Encourage the educational, creative and professional musical activities of the residents of New Mexico and attract outstanding musicians to New Mexico through appropriate programs of publicity, education and coordination and through direct activities, such as sponsorship of music;
- Protect, promote and preserve the musical traditions of New Mexico; and
- Accept on behalf of the state donations of money, property and other things of value as are suitable and will best further the aims of the Music Commission Act.
Apply to be a Commissioner
As of November 2019, there are eight open seats on the Music Commission. If you are interested in serving as a Music Commissioner, apply here through the Governor’s Web site.
Meet the Commissioners
Cumulatively, the music commissioners bring decades of music industry experience and expertise, spanning multiple disciplines and genres, to the table. Visit the links below to learn more about our music commissioners: