About the Music Commissioners
The New Mexico Music Commission (NMMC) is an advisory body administratively attached to New Mexico Arts, the State Arts agency and a division of the Department of Cultural Affairs. The commission consists of fifteen members appointed by the Governor. Commissioners are unpaid volunteers serving three-year terms renewable at the Governor’s discretion.
- Advise New Mexico Arts on music-related policies;
- Advise and assist public agencies in elevating the role of music in New Mexico;
- Foster appreciation of the value of music;
- Make New Mexico a music destination for both visitors and music professionals;
- Encourage the educational, creative and professional musical activities of the residents of New Mexico and attract outstanding musicians to New Mexico through appropriate programs of publicity, education and coordination and through direct activities, such as sponsorship of music;
- Protect, promote and preserve the musical traditions of New Mexico; and
- Accept on behalf of the state donations of money, property and other things of value as are suitable and will best further the aims of the Music Commission Act.
Apply to be a Commissioner
If you are interested in serving as a Music Commissioner, apply here through the Governor’s Web site.
Meet the Commissioners
Cumulatively, the music commissioners bring decades of music industry experience and expertise, spanning multiple disciplines and genres, to the table. Click the links below to learn more about each music commissioner: