Thomas Goodrich ~ Commission Administrator
BME Music Education
Ohio State University 1985
MM Viola Performance with distinction
Mannes School of Music 1990
Over 30 years experience in the music industry. Highlights include:
- Musician San Juan Symphony, Santa Fe Symphony, New York Chamber Ensemble, Bronx Opera Orchestra, among others; Festivals: Meadowmount School of Music, Breckenridge Music Institute
- Conductor Albuquerque Youth Symphony Program, Colorado Youth Symphony Orchestra, Hummingbird Music Camp, Columbus Symphony Cadet Orchestra; Guest Conductor Albuquerque, Farmington, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe, Los Alamos Honor Orchestras, Grand Junction Colorado Honor Orchestra
- Clinician New Mexico School for the Arts, Hummingbird Music Camp, Albuquerque Youth Symphony Program, Albuquerque Public Schools, Farmington Schools, OSTA summer music camp, among others
- Adjudicator NMMEA All State viola auditions, UNM Summer Music Institute, Farmington Solo and Ensemble Festival, Albuquerque and Las Cruces Orchestra Festivals, Colorado State Orchestra Festival, among others
- Composer, Arranger, Editor Creative Spirit publishing, The Arc That Never Ends dance company, Sierra Grande Chamber Music Festival, ISCM Composers’ Competition
- Educator Collegiate New Mexico Highlands University, Armand Hammer United World College, Santa Fe University of Art and Design; Private The Goodrich Studio, Meadow City Academy of Music, Suzuki Violin Program of Columbus; Classroom Albuquerque Public Schools, The Menaul School, Denver School of the Arts; Courses delivered orchestra, chamber music, private lessons, band, chorus, guitar, piano, music theory, composition; Licensure New Mexico Level III Instructional Leader; Colorado Professional Teaching License
- Founder, New Mexico Musicians Relief Fund, iHeartNMMusic, and The Goodrich Studio
- Production/Stage Manager, Music from Angel Fire
- Site Director, numerous NM Music Educators Association District VII orchestra festivals and solo and ensemble festivals, Colorado American String Teachers Association (ASTA) Certificate Advancement Program juries, and Colorado High School Athletic Association state orchestra festivals
- Executive Committee, Colorado ASTA Certificate Advancement Program
- Director, numerous music booster organizations
- Librarian, Musica Sacra, Columbus Symphony
- Program Coordinator, Jefferson Academy of Music (Columbus)
- Treasurer, NM ASTA
- Director of Adult Education, CNM Community College
- IT Training Officer, Morgan Stanley worldwide Investment Banking Division
- Administrator, NM Music Commission
Golondrinas, Mora County
February 14, 2015
Thomas has garnered over thirty years in the music industry primarily as a freelancer, with twelve years in the K-12 music classroom. The schools in which he has taught range from inner city Title I schools to audition-only national art schools. He is experienced at working with musicians of all ages and skill levels.
Thomas moved to Albuquerque in 1997 and in 2013 relocated to the Mora River valley. His current steady gigs are with New Mexico Highlands University in Las Vegas, where he teaches violin, and the United World College in Montezuma, where he coaches chamber music and IB composition students. His ‘day job’ is with the NM Music Commission, serving as their part-time administrator. He is also active as a freelance musician, conductor, clinician, and adjudicator throughout New Mexico.
In addition to his love of music, he’s an avid gardener, writes poetry, watches Netflix, enjoys reading (currently working through the winners of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction), and aspires to maintain a regular Zen practice.
Arranger, Educator: Paul Hindemith’s Viola Sonata Op. 25 No. 4 1st movement arranged for string ensemble with permission of Schott Music Germany in recognition of La Cueva High School Camerata’s 2007 New Mexico Music Educators Association all state honor performance at Popejoy Hall in Albuquerque.
Arranger, Educator: Coldplay’s Viva la Vida for solo electric viola, string ensemble, and percussion arranged for the La Cueva High School Camerata in recognition of their 2010 New Mexico Music Educators Association all state honor orchestra performance at Popejoy Hall in Albuquerque.
Conductor, Educator: Sidereal Time by Ben Tomkins commissioned by Thomas Goodrich for the Denver School of the Arts High School Strings in recognition of their 2013 Colorado Music Educators Association state honor orchestra performance.
Musician: Opening phrase of Ernest Bloch’s Meditation in honor of the life of Zen teacher Jistudo Alfred Ancheta (dharma heir to Maezumi Roshi and co-founder of the Center for the Promotion of Peace) who passed away in May 2020. Recorded by cell phone in one take.
In honor of the life and teachings of Roshi Alfred Jitsudo Ancheta, one of twelve Dharma Successors of Japanese Zen master Maezumi Roshi, and Dharma Successor of Bernie Glassman (Tetsugen Roshi) founder of the worldwide Zen Peacemaker Order. In Gassho, with the opening phrase of Ernest Bloch's Meditation.Posted by Thomas Goodrich on Sunday, May 10, 2020
New Mexico Music Commission
407 Galisteo Street, Suite 270
Santa Fe NM 87501
Toll Free: 1.800.879.4278