Music Commission Projects
In 2009, the legislature approved a bill making the commission a permanent part of state government in New Mexico. There is a staff of one and 15 unpaid volunteer advisors. The Commission provides educational and economic development resources for musicians and music-related industries. Since its inception, the New Mexico Music Commission has undertaken a number of significant projects. Among them:
- 2007 - 2008 - 2009 - 2010 - The NMMC produced a television series called New Mexico Southwest Sounds. The series promotes New Mexico music and tourism. In 2010, it aired on PBS affiliate KRWG-TV and has also aired on ABC affiliate KOAT-TV, PBS affiliate KENW-TV, various hotels/motels, government television stations, public schools, YouTube and www.newmexicomusic.org. The series received a Telly Award in 2008 and again in 2009 for content and production.
- July 2009 - Dec 2010 - NMMC hosted a weekly radio show featuring musicians of all genres on KBAC radio in Santa Fe. The show is syndicated to radio stations throughout the state. The New Mexico Music Commission Executive Director Nancy Laflin, Music Commissioner Rick Huff and Lucio Urbano also host a monthly radio program on KUNM promoting local musicians (the station has more than 100,000 listeners weekly).
- June, July, Sept. 2009 - The New Mexico Music Commission and You and Me Productions produced a documentary about New Mexico music legend Norman Petty. The documentary aired on all PBS affiliates throughout New Mexico and was used as pledge drive to raise money for public broadcasting. In February 2010, the documentary also aired on the PBS affiliate in Lubbock, Texas, and was distributed to PBS affiliates throughout the country.
- Sept. 2008 - The New Mexico Music Commission hosted a GRAMMY conference with Lizzy Moore from the Recording Academy, teaching New Mexicans how to get involved.
- March 2008 - During the NM Filmmakers Conference, the New Mexico Music Commission brought in Professors from the Berklee College of Music to teach New Mexicans about the process of film scoring.
- Sept. 2007 - The New Mexico Music Commission partnered with the State Fair to host a talent competition. Winners from several genres received studio recording time, equipment, photography, performances with the City of Albuquerque and other prizes.
- June 2007 - 2008 - 2009 During the Hyperactive Music Festival, the New Mexico Music Commission sponsored education and business panels with representatives from various professions in the music industry .
- Dec. 2006 - During the New Mexico Filmmakers Conference, the New Mexico Music Commission held a meet and greet event introducing composers to filmmakers.
- Spring 2006 - The New Mexico Music Commission sponsored an internship program with Fan Man Productions, teaching students technical aspects of the music business.
- March 2006 - The New Mexico Music Commission partnered with NM Tourism Department. and several record labels to hold a NM music showcase at SXSW in Austin, Texas
- Dec. 2005 - The New Mexico Music Commission partnered with Music NM Style and collected CDs for New Mexico Troops.
- May, 2005 - Created an ever growing web site that serves as a free referral network listing musicians, employment / volunteer opportunities as well as businesses, associations and events and festivals.